Pręgierz. Oława (niem. Ohlau), miasto powiatowe
- J. Milka, Pręgierze. Kamienne pomniki dawnego prawa na Dolnym Śląsku, cz. 1, Świdnica 1991, s. 37.
- M. Trzciński, Miecz katowski, pręgierz, szubienica. Zabytki jurysdykcji karnej na Dolnym Śląsku (XIII-XVIIII w.), Wrocław 2001, s. 153-154.
Pillory. Oława (German: Ohlau), district town.
- Oława (German: Ohlau), a county town.
- A stone pillory stands in the market square in front of the town hall.
- Description: on the southern side of the town hall, there is a column believed to be a fragment of the former pillory. A granite pillar over 2 meters high was placed on a four-sided platform. The octagonal shaft of the column was topped with a poorly profiled head on which a stone ball was located. The pillory was placed in its current location in 1935 or 1937, when it was found after years of oblivion. The ball, a decorative element of the pillory, was destroyed a few years ago by vandals, which resulted in the renovation of the monument.
- Comments: In 1713, the pillory in Oława required urgent renovation, and in particular it was necessary to stabilize the object with metal brackets. Preserved city accounts, inform that the bricklayers were paid 9 thalers for renovation work at the pillory and the blacksmith was paid 10 thalers for the brackets stabilizing the "column of shame". In addition, the townspeople participating in the renovation were given a keg of beer, the blacksmiths two whole barrels, and the bricklayers one, which in total cost 3 thalers, 33 grosz and 9 hellers. Representatives of the local court taking part in the work received 5 thalers. In turn, on October 6, 1713, Gottfried Thinel, the local executioner, was paid 2 thalers and 18 grosz for the traditional, ceremonial acceptance of the renovated pillory. At the same time, the master checked the quality and scope of work carried out on the pillory.
The most important literature:
- J. Milka, Pręgierze. Kamienne pomniki dawnego prawa na Dolnym Śląsku, pt. 1, Świdnica 1991, pp. 37.
- M. Trzciński, Miecz katowski, pręgierz, szubienica. Zabytki jurysdykcji karnej na Dolnym Śląsku (XIII-XVIIII w.), Wrocław 2001, pp. 153-154.